Action points for a safe squat are:
- Feet shoulder-width apart
- Engage core (tighten tummy muscles)
- Squat down keeping back parallel with lower leg (in other words, keep your chest up and lower with your knees rather than your back)
- Keep heels down and ensuring knees don’t go beyond toes
- Return to an upright position and repeat
If you suffer with any medical issues (i.e., high blood pressure, joint pain, prone to dizziness) that you feel might be aggravated by this challenge, please consult with your doctor before proceeding.
If you’re unfamiliar with performing squats, have a comfortable chair behind you so you’re ready to use it if you feel it necessary.
Have fun and good luck!
David Bowie, owner of Healthy Fit Life, is a mobile personal trainer and sports massage therapist working in the Farnham and Camberley area.