The next time you feel blue try one or more of the following:
- Listen to music – something you find uplifting
- Exercise – helps to release positive hormones
- Listen to some comedy – put a smile on your face
- Go outside and get some vitamin D – a shortage of vitamin D has a detrimental impact on our mood. Go for a walk, do some gardening, etc.
- Seek out positive people and be sociable – a good way to change your state of mind is to speak to others
- Retail therapy – go shopping, either online or on the High Street
- Plan a holiday – be it fantasy or real, this can help to transport you to a sunny, happy place
- Stroke a pet – proven to be calming, lowers heart rate and blood pressure. Not recommended if the only pets you have are fish or porcupines.
If you’re reading this whilst feeling negative but are unwilling to do any of the above, shout at the screen and tell me what positive thing you want to do that I’ve missed off my list. Then go and do it. Don’t let that negative voice drag you into a debate. Pick something you like and JUST DO IT!
David Bowie, owner of Healthy Fit Life, is a mobile personal trainer and sports massage therapist working in the Farnham and Camberley area.